Thursday, June 30, 2011
Saturday, June 25, 2011
Friday, June 24, 2011
missy just finished up her first giveaway, and since i've been thinking about doing something like this for a long time (a very long time), here it is. finally.
plus, i've been making more of these pins than i'd ever manage to wear because, honestly, they're just FUN.
this pin is about an inch and a half in diameter. not too big, not too small, and is a light blue-lavender with soft sage leaves. it would look great pinned on a sun bonnet or cute cardigan.
so, to enter, just leave a comment below and tell me what your last favorite crafty project was (if you have one. and making delicious food counts. according to me, at least.) i'll be picking a random winner next friday (july 1st).
Tuesday, June 21, 2011
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons shortning (i used a combination of smart balance and olive oil)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 to 3 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- soften active dry yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. combine hot water, sugar, salt, and shortening; cool to lukewarm
- stir in whole wheat flour and 1 cup of the white flour; beat well
- stir in softened yeast and add enough of the rest of the white flour to make a moderately stiff dough. knead until soft and satiny (about 10–12 minutes)
- shape into a ball and put in lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface
- cover and let rise in warm place till double (about 90 minutes)
- punch down, cut in two portions and shape each into a smooth ball. cover and let rest 10 minutes
- shape in loaves and place in greased loaf pans. let rise about 75 minutes, until double
- bake in moderate oven (375 degrees) about 45 minutes. cover loosely with foil for last 20 minutes if loaves brown too quickly.
- brush with butter after removing from pans